Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
ROP-CAP And NES Program
RETINOPATHY OF PREMATURITY CONTROL IN ANDHRA PRADESH AND NEWBORN EYE SCREENING PROGRAM
- Preterm babies can have serious vision loss from Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP), which may not be externally visible.
- All preterm babies with a birth weight less than 2.0 kg, or born less than one month before the Expected Date of Delivery (EDD), need a complete DILATED RETINAL EXAMINATION DEFINITELY BETWEEN 20-30 days of birth.
- Follow-up is needed every 1-2 weeks till the retina matures fully.
- Very urgent laser treatment is needed if abnormal retinal vessels are seen on a retinal examination.
- All normal and preterm newborns should undergo an eye examination for ‘Red Reflex’ and torchlight examination within a few hours of birth and, thereafter, every month till 6 months of age.